|Light and fluffy and...low fat?!|
This makes 16 medium sized scones, weighing in at 175 kcal a piece with only 3g of saturated fat. Winner!
400g plain flour
50g wholemeal flour
10g baking powder
5g bicarbinate of soda
85g cold butter, diced
100g apple grated or diced fairly small
1 tsp vanilla extract
zest of 1/2 a lemon
- preheat the oven to gas mark 7 and line a baking tray with baking paper. Set aside.
- tip the flours, raising agents, salt and butter in to a bowl. Rub the butter in to the flour using your finger tips until there are no large lumps left.
- add the sugar and stir. Add in the fruits and zest and mix well, making sure everything is well coated in the flour.
- warm the buttermilk and vanilla in a small saucepan or in the microwave until just steaming. Add 1/3 of the flour to a large bowl, then some of the liquid. Mix well using a round-ended knife. Continue alternating and mixing until used up.
- tip on to a lightly floured surface and knead very gently until you have dough. Flatten out with your palm to about 4-5cm thick and then cut using cutters or a very sharp knife (glasses/cups don't work as well).
- arrange on the baking tray leaving a little room to rise and bake for 10 minutes. Check, then return to the oven for another 3 minutes.
-cool on a wire rack, split open and enjoy with butter, jam, cream - anything!
|The apple and sultana could even be part of your 5 a day!|